Bar & Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court District of Nebraska
- United States District Court District of Colorado
- United States District Court Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan
Temple University School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 1992
Columbia University, Columbia College, 1988
For over 23 years, Jacob has litigated complex cases at the highest levels, championing the rights of investors, employees and consumers. Among his notable accomplishments in litigation under the federal securities laws are serving as one of the lead lawyers in In re: Ikon Office Solutions Securities Litigation, (E.D. Pennsylvania) which settled for $111 million then a record result for securities litigation in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and still among the 100 largest securities class action settlements ever. Jacob has also served as lead lawyer in In re Quadramed, Inc. Sec. Litig. (N.D. Cal.) ($5.25 million settlement); In re Creditrust Corporation Securities Litigation (D. Md.) ($7.5 million settlement); and In re: Ebix, Inc. Sec. Litig. ($6.5 million Settlement).
In addition to serving in a leadership role in many other cases alleging violations of the federal securities laws, Jacob has litigated many cases under state corporations laws, against faithless boards of directors both on behalf of shareholders, in the mergers and acquisitions context, and, derivatively, on behalf of corporations, to remedy harm to the corporation itself. Among the most notable of these cases is Cohen v. Mirage Resorts, Inc., 119 Nev. 1, 62 P.3d 720 (2003), in which Jacob blazed a trail in mergers and acquisitions law under Nevada law. In Cohen, for the first time, the Nevada Supreme Court held that shareholders were entitled to sue to enjoin or to rescind or receive damages on a merger achieved through wrongful conduct that goes to the approval of the merger. In so holding, the Nevada Supreme Court rejected the contention that absent fraud, shareholders of Nevada corporations were relegated to statutory appraisal rights. To date, Cohen is the only case in which the Nevada Supreme Court has had occasion to rule on implications of NRS §92A.380 and the standards for assessing the conduct of the board members, management and majority shareholders of Nevada corporations in the merger and acquisition context. Similarly, in Studer v. Heng Fung Holdings, (D. Colorado) Jacob served as lead lawyer, recovering $1.5 million for the corporate entity, related to the directors’ faithless conduct.
Jacob has also litigated cases under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”), on behalf of employees who were injured, when the value of their retirement savings collapsed while fiduciaries stood mute. Most notably, Jacob served as co-lead counsel in Bredthauer v. Lundstrom, et al., (D. Nebraska), recovering $4.5 million for participants in an employee stock ownership plan which lost all of its value upon the bankruptcy filing of TierOne Bank. Among Jacob’s other notable litigation achievements is serving as a lead lawyer in Streck v. Allergan, Inc., et al., (E.D. Pennsylvania), alleging violations of the False Claims Act. In the Streck litigation, Jacob co-led a team that defeated the motion to dismiss of four major pharmaceutical manufacturers, even as the United States declined to intervene in the case.
Jacob graduated from Columbia University, Columbia College in 1988. He graduated from Temple University School of Law in 1992, cum laude. Jacob is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth and Sixth Circuits, and the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, the District of Nebraska, the District of Colorado, the Central District of Illinois and the Eastern District of Michigan. He is a dual citizen of the United States of America and the Republic of Ireland.
- Rosen Law Firm Defeats Motion to Dismiss filed in Caesarstone Ltd. Class ActionJuly 21, 2016
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Lead Counsel in MannKind Corporation Class ActionMay 19, 2016
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Lead Counsel in Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc. Class ActionJanuary 28, 2016
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Co-Lead Counsel in Globus Medical, Inc. Class ActionJanuary 15, 2016
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Co-Lead Counsel in Zafgen, Inc. Class ActionJanuary 7, 2016
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Co-Lead Counsel in Caesarstone Sdot-Yam Ltd. Class ActionNovember 18, 2015
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Co-Lead Counsel in Uranium Energy Corp. Class ActionOctober 20, 2015
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Lead Counsel in Sonus Networks, Inc. Class ActionSeptember 21, 2015
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Lead Counsel in Cellular Biomedicine Group, Inc. Class ActionAugust 3, 2015
- Rosen Law Firm Appointed Lead Counsel in Forcefield Energy, Inc. Class ActionJuly 22, 2015